“If you live in the United States, then chicken is probably a staple in your diet, especially if you have implemented a healthy eating plan. Part of the meat and beans group of the Food Guide Pyramid, chicken is full of essential nutrients that your body needs., while carrying fewer of the unhealthy qualities that other meats have. A boneless, skinless chicken breast is an excellent low-fat food that can be prepared in a variety of ways and that fits into many different cuisines.” (Source: Livestrong.Com | Article: Why Is Chicken Healthy to Eat? | Author: Jill Armayor)
Ina Garten’s roasted chicken recipe is a quick, easy meal that can be paired with a variety of sides, appetizers, desserts and cocktails.
- 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch of fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 2 Remove the chicken giblets and rinse the chicken inside and out, removing any excess fat and leftover pin feathers.
- Step 3 Pat the outside dry.
- Step 4 Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Step 5 Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
- Step 6 Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Step 7 Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Step 8 Place the onions, carrots and fennel in a roasting pan. Add salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme and olive oil. Toss until well blended.
- Step 9 Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Step 10 Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.
- Step 11 Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.